Ways to Stay Cool Without Blasting Your A/C
This spring weather has proven that the summer is going to be pretty hot. It’s time to start thinking of ways that you can stay cool without having to blast your air conditioning. We have found some tips that can help make the warm weather a little bit more bearable. Check these out!
- Drink water frequently. Your body will feel cooler if you are hydrated. Try drinking eight ounces of water at least every hour.
- Keep the back of your neck in shade (wear a cap backwards, or raise your collar) or put a wet handkerchief on the back of the neck. The sensor for our body temperature control system is in this area, and so with this method you can make the rest of your body think that you are “cool”.
- Summer Clothing: Wear loosely-woven natural fabrics (cotton, silk, linen) rather than polyester, rayon, or other artificial fibers (with the possible exception of performance fabrics).
- Close your blinds. Close your blinds and curtains during the day to block the sun’s heat. As soon as the sun hits your building in the morning, close all windows and keep exterior doors and windows closed throughout the hottest part of the day.
- Avoid steam. During the day, don’t take a hot shower, wash dishes and clothes or cook until after dark.
These tips can be very useful for when you are in your Orange apartment and away from it. And you can save money on bills by leaving the thermostat alone. Stay cool this summer (literally and figuratively).
photo credit: graur razvan ionut